Pack 82 Pinewood Derby Rules:
- Scouts must wear their Class A Uniform to race.
- Cars must be built BY THE SCOUTS with adult supervision and assistance as needed for safety.
- Only official BSA Pinewood Derby Car Kits are to be used.
- Pre-cut car kits such as those available at craft stores are not allowed.
- All cars must pass inspection to qualify for the race (cars that do not pass inspection can still be entered into the design competition).
- The car must have been made during the current Scouting year.
- The overall width of the car shall not exceed 2 ¾ inches.
- The overall length of the car shall not exceed 7 inches.
- The overall height of the car shall not exceed 5 inches.
- The wheelbase (distance between axles) may be extended beyond the pre-cut axle slots.
- The weight of the car shall not exceed 5.0 ounces.
- The distance between wheels on the same axis shall be no less than 1 ¾ inches so as to remain on the track.
- The ground clearance under the car shall be greater than 3/8 inches so as to freely move on the track. Weights mounted under the car must be flush with the wood or they will drag the track and the car will NOT make it to the finish line.
- Any details added must be within length, height, width, ground clearance, and weight limits.
- Only axles and wheels in the provided kit or official BSA pinewood derby car wheels and axles shall be used.
- NO one piece axles.
- Wheels can be sanded to remove surface imperfections, but the treads must be left flat.
- Axles can be sanded and polished to remove surface imperfections (crimp marks and burrs).
- NO liquid or spray lubricants are allowed. Only dry powdered lubricants (graphite) are permitted.
- Wheel bearings, washers, bushings and hubcaps are prohibited.
- The car shall not ride on any kind or type of springs.
- The car must be freewheeling, with no starting devices.
- No loose materials of any kind (such as lead shot or washers) are allowed in or on the car.
- Inspections and check in will start 1 hour before the official start time.
- Adjustments to cars can be made in order to pass inspection. HOWEVER, once the car is checked in, NO additional adjustments/changes will be allowed. Failure to follow this rule will result in the Scout being disqualified.
Open Class Race:
The above rules are for the official Pack 82 Cub Scout Race. There will be an Open Class race option for any person that is not a Cub Scout. We encourage all adults and children/siblings to participate in the open class race. Open class race cars do not have to pass an inspection to participate, so be creative and have fun.